Dienstag, 2. März 2010

Self Initiation and the Golden Dawn

I created this blog not only but also for the solitary student who is looking into the studying of the occult in general by using the GD tradition in special, when joining an existing GD Order or group is not possible for whatever factual or personal reason. At this point I can not teach anything but expressing my thoughts and showing my experiences on that path. I am however not dogmatic about being solitary. For the time being I have some factual and some personal reasons but I truly wish to be able to join in real temple work sooner or later (rather sooner).



Having said this, the path of a solitary practitioner is difficult. Finding your way through the published material. Figuring which system is best for you. One shouodl note that there are various ideas about how self initiation is supposed to happen , which rituals should or could be used and the like. There also is a lot of discussion about the possibility, the acceptance and even the existence of self initiation and also astral initiation in the first place. I do not want to repeat all this, one may research on the usual well known GD forums and websites. However, I am glad that initiates of GD orders seem to accept the fact that self initiation can have some value and can be a way to work with(in) the GD tradition. Of course no one should confuse self initiation with real initiation and should call himself a member of a specific GD order. However after self initiation you are a member of the greater GD community and Tradition. Regarding this and also for having some valuable guidance, if self initiation is your way into the GD tradition, on how to structure the work, I want to recommend Sincerus Renatus’ latest post Golden Dawn and self initiation. Within that post he suggests some very helpful structure for the studying and practice of the different grades and levels.

He also suggests to keep the work “clean” meaning clean from other non GD work. This is an important aspect while working on or with self initiation. I have to admit that I have used other, non GD rituals now and then – depending on the purpose. However, I do not mix the systems and their rituals while working and I would recommend to stick to the “pure” GD while working with the grades. You may have some single rituals you like in your daily practice, like some daily or solar adorations, some balancing meditation etc. Using these independently and out of the GD ritual context may not harm. However, there will be the question of the necessity at some point since the grade work will provide for everything you need.

In L.V.X.

Arcad

3 Kommentare:

  1. Ave Arcad,

    My own thoughts on the subject of SI are ever evolving and often contradictory. I sought out the G.'.D.'. system as I couldn't seem to find the structure I sought for in the neopagan movement. I was and still am a solitary practitioner in that system. I too was advised to maintain a distinct difference in the two systems for my own benefit. It helps with neopaganism/witchcraft and that of ceremonial magic in that they often follow diverging methodologies anyway.

    My own philosophy on the matter of initiation is probably too simplistic for some people's tastes but I believe that ultimately initiation is found in the persistent dedication of doing the necessary work. It may take a solitary student some time longer to wrap their heads around certain material, theory as well as practically speaking, since they only have the benefit of one mind. Sure there are forums and online groups but the risk comes in the form of published material containing a lot of mistakes or misnomers, my own view is that this can be very disheartening for the student. At least it was for me with neopaganism and witchcraft as I realised that working covens in the area had a similar outlook to myself but none of the books back us up.

    In LVX,
    Niall

    AntwortenLöschen
  2. Ave Niall,

    thanks for sharing your view. I agree that persistent dedication of doing the work is the basis for initiation. Still, some things may either take a long time or maybe never be experienced while staying solitary. I assume you recently experienced the advantage of temple initiation (I would be interested in how far that changed things for you). Right, the published material can be disheartening. But then, as long as the true dedication still glows inside....

    In LVX,
    Arcad

    AntwortenLöschen
  3. So I am a member of a couple of G.D. orders but the temples are too far for me to travel to. Is SI a good route for me to take along with the teachings I'm receiving as a member. I add this only to get a clearer answer one of the orders I am chartered to start my own temple (though member growth is slow) is this still a good option for me because I will be one of the initiating officers once we get to that point. Thank you!

    L.V.X

    AntwortenLöschen